Friday, September 17, 2010

Do I need a reason?

Deciding to blog every day smacks of hubris in some ways – why should I assume that this is a decision of note, or that anyone else would give up two seconds of their time to see what I’ve decided to spray all over the internet this morning?

However, there are some reasons that are good enough for me:

1. It’s time to contribute. Between reading blogs and tumblr and Twitter and news sites and TV sites and magazine sites, I consume a preposterous amount of material on line. One day it struck me that I’m not contributing to this in any way – I only consume. I’m not under any illusion that the web needs another blogger. It doesn’t. In fact, having one more random person writing about why shoelaces are so weird might finally crash the network and we’ll all be doomed.

But still, I felt like it was time to be a contributor. Sorry about that, future civilizations.

2. I miss writing. I like writing. I like writing every day, as it presents a façade of discipline. (…she says as she is still unshowered, the pets need to be fed, and there’s no coffee brewing yet.)

3. Now my friends are doing it, too, and I LOVE that.

4. I love reading my friends’ blogs, so maybe they like mine, which is good enough for me, because…

5. …it doesn’t really matter if this gets read or not. I don’t know if that sounds cynical or pitiful or what, but it’s true. I just want to write. Obviously, I want to share what I write, or I’d leave this in the Word document where it starts, but still – writing is the primary point.


(If you ARE reading this, and I hope you are because I'm a total hypocrite, why do you blog?)


3 comments:

Lisa said...

I blog so that I remember my year when it comes to writing my annual Christmas letter!

Actually one of my favorite things is to go back and read my journals that I started keeping in 7th grade and stopped in college. I miss having that link to my old self. Reading what I wrote can sometimes be shocking - that I felt that way about something I feel completely different about now, that I was so immature or sometimes that I was so mature and how things that seem so important are completely forgotten years later. I blog so later I can remember.

CB said...

Why are shoelaces SO WEIRD? What about airline food? WHO ARE THE AD WIZARDS WHO CAME UP WITH THIS ONE?

I blog for...I don't know. I haven't done it a lot lately, at any rate. I guess I have an urge, in a way, to express thoughts that I have, so they don't disappear forever. That doesn't mean I fantasize about archaeologists of the future pondering my writings (...OK, I totally do). By putting my thoughts "out there" I don't claim that they're brilliant or unique or illuminating to the world -- I just want them to be out there. I like the idea of a cacophony of people writing, talking about all kinds of stuff all over the world. I like being part of that cacophony, I guess.

And the writing practice doesn't hurt either. And the discipline thing. Which I clearly fail at since I haven't blogged since May.

Jennifer D. said...

We all seem to be doing this for posterity in some way, whether it's our future selves or future civilizations.

Either way, YOU'RE WELCOME, POSTERITY.