Saturday, October 2, 2010

It's clean fun, at least - not sure about good...


Ahh, so much for posting every day.  These headaches are killing my ambitious blogging schedule – when you wake up every day with a stabbing pain in your eye, it’s more challenging to have ideas.

I soldier on, though.

We went to see a comedian last night, and while the show was fine, I found myself paying much more attention to the audience around us by the end of the set. 

The comedian was Brian Regan, who I knew from seeing on TV from time to time.  He was funny – he also, apparently, has a strict “no cursing” policy in his set.  It’s a testament to his skill that I’ve seen him perform a few times and never noticed that. 

He also has an extremely enthusiastic fan base.  Like… I don’t know if a lot of these people have ever seen any other stand-up comedy.  They do things that are normally only appropriate at concerts, like SAY THE PUNCHLINE ALONG WITH THE COMEDIAN. 

Seriously.  This guy is building up the joke - and some of them have significant set-up time – and huge parts of the audience are just waiting to shout the end of the joke with him.  As a performer, is that more flattering or annoying?  I mean, I guess he can just go home and cry into his giant piles of money if it bothers him.  But it bothered me. 

There was a couple behind me where the guy was one of the above –mentioned fans, and the girl was either deaf or very, very stupid.  I was listening closely to them by the end of the night, and I have to say, I think she was very, very stupid.  The two of them had a running dialogue that went something like this:

Comedian: “So…in beaker 1 we have….acid….and in beaker B we have…”
Guy Behind Me: “It’s funny because B isn’t a number!”
Girl Behind Me: “Oh.  OH, right!”

Comedian: “Why did Jefferson stop at naming his house?  Why stop at Monticello?  What about… would you like to borrow my can opener, Eduardo?”
Girl: “Who’s Eduardo?”
Guy: “No, see, he’s naming all the stuff in the house, but that’s just the name he picked for the can opener.”
Girl: “Uh, ok.”

Brian Regan was funny, but they were HILARIOUS. 

No comments: